WELCOME TO MY BLOG, MY FRIEND!

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Brown's Daily Word 11/12/15

Praise the Lord for this new day.  Praise the Lord for the rest that He gives us that refreshes and restores us.  Praise the Lord for the strength He gives to us  for encountering new challenges and new opportunities every day.  Alice has been gathering all our Christmas collections -  trees and music.  She has started listening to Christmas music starting at 5:30 AM on some mornings.  She watches her Christmas movies until she goes to bed.  She has been updating me on her progress of in completing the Christmas hats and dresses and all other Christmas gifts for the children and the grandchildren.  Praise the Lord that we get to celebrate the Birth of our Lord and Savior once again.  Another added blessing that we have is that the Thanksgiving season ushers in the wonderful Advent season and the most magical and glorious Christmas season.  Let us get ready, prayerfully anticipating the best. 
 

    The Lord blessed us with a wonderful Wednesday evening gathering of sweet fellowship and study.  We are excited to host the children for the Release time today.  During our study time yesterday we had a time for questions and sharing.  Some raised the question of the suffering, tragedy, and atrocities that we all  face.  For some the presence of difficulties and suffering in the world means that God is punishing people for something.  For others, however, it is a sign that God is not able to do anything about the problems they face.  Others wonder if God simply does not care. 

 

    William Frey, retired Episcopal Bishop from Colorado, tells the following story:  "When I was a younger man, I volunteered to read to a degree student named John who was blind.  One day I asked him, "How did you lose your sight?"  "A chemical explosion," John said, "at the age of thirteen."  "How did that make you feel?" I asked.  "Life was over.  I felt helpless.  I hated God," John responded.  For the first six months I did nothing to improve my lot in life.  I would eat all my meals alone in my room.  One day my father entered my room and said, 'John, winter's coming and the storm windows need to be up -  that's your job.  I want those hung by the time I get back this evening or else!'  Then he turned, walked out of the room and slammed the door.  I got so angry.  I thought Who does he think I am?  I'm blind!  I was so angry I decided to do it. I felt my way to the garage, found the windows, located the necessary tools, found the ladder, all the while muttering under my breath, 'I'll show them.  I'll fall, then they'll have a blind and paralyzed son!"  John continued, "I got the windows up.  I found out later that never at any moment was my father more than four or five feet away from my side."  In the same way Jesus did not promise to spare us, but he did promise to be with us: "And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age" (Matthew 28:20).

 

    While visiting Yosemite National Park this past summer, we saw some brave and courageous rock climbers, scaling one of the historic peaks.  Our daughter Janice and her husband Jeremy are avid rock climbers.  Whenever they tell me about their heroic expeditions I cringe. 

 

    In his book, "Unnecessary Pastor" Eugene Peterson wrote, "My tow sons are both rock climbers, and I have listened to them plan their ascents (up a mountain).  They spend as much or more time planning their climbs as in the actual climbing.  They meticulously plot their route and then, as they climb, put in what they call 'protection' - pitons hammered into small crevices in the rock face, with attached ropes that will arrest a quick descent to death.  Rock climbers who fail to put in protection have short climbing careers.  Our pitons or 'protection' come as we remember and hold on to those times when we have experienced God's faithfulness in our lives.  Every answered prayer, every victory, every storm that has been calmed by his presence is a piton which keeps us from falling, losing hope, or worse yet, losing our faith.  Every piton in our life is an example of God's faithfulness to us. . . As we ascend in the kingdom of God, we also realize that each experience, each victory is only a piton - a stepping stone toward our ultimate goal of finishing the race and receiving the crown of glory.

  In Christ our Anchor:

   Brown

No comments: