WELCOME TO MY BLOG, MY FRIEND!

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Brown's Daily Word 11/10/15

Praise the Lord  for this new day.  We will rejoice and be glad in it.  A small team of short term missionaries have gone to the area where I was born.  Another team will be traveling there towards the middle of the month. They re all from the Southern tier New York.  They will be working with children, encouraging local pastors and leaders, and coming alongside many who are laboring in the  Kingdom of our Lord and Savior I would like to share a portion from the Morning Prayer, "A Diary of Private Prayer", by  John Bailie.  "O God without me, forbid that I should look today upon the work of Thy hand, and give no thought to Thee, the Maker.  Let the Heavens declare Thy glory, to me,  and the hills Thy majesty.  Let every fleeting loveliness I see speak to me of a loveliness that does not fade.  Let the beauty of the earth, be to me a sacrament of the beauty of holiness made manifest in Jesus Christ my Lord." 
    As we watch the news and read the news papers we get glimpses of a world that has gone insane.  Day by day we witness that some of the foundations of the civilization are crumbling.  Godlessness and the lawlessness are rampant.  Men of evil intent and depravity are on the move, destroying and decimating nations and people.  Innocent and powerless people have become soft targets of terrorism and violence.  Christians around the world are facing torture and persecution.  In the midst of all this, though to some it does not make any sense, we turn our eyes unto Jesus.  The Bible says, “Everyone born of God overcomes the world.  This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith” (1 John 5:4).  It goes on to say, “We know that anyone born of God does not continue to sin; the one who was born of God keeps him safe, and the evil one cannot harm him” (1 John 5:18).  All this is from God, for Jesus said, “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble.  But take heart!  I have overcome the world” (John 16:33).
 
    In the third century, Cyprian wrote to his friend, Donatus: “This seems a cheerful world, Donatus, when I view it from this fair garden under the shadow of these vines. But if I climbed some great mountain and looked out over the wide lands, you know very well what I would see. Brigands on the high road, pirates on the seas, in the amphitheaters men murdered to please the applauding crowds, under all roofs, misery and selfishness. It is really a bad world, Donatus, an incredibly bad world. Yet in the midst of it, I have found a quiet and holy people. They have discovered a joy which is a thousand times better than any pleasure of this sinful life. They are despised and persecuted, but they care not. They have overcome the world. These people, Donatus, are the Christians. . . and I am one of them.”  While trials are not things we want to think about, it is absolutely vital that we are prepared.  Maybe it will never happen in our lifetime — may God let it be so!  But we cannot deceive ourselves into thinking that the biblical cautions about persecution don’t apply to us.  It was Jesus who said, “Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven".  Mathew 5
  In Christ.
   Brown
 

No comments: