WELCOME TO MY BLOG, MY FRIEND!

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Brown's Daily Word 10/9/14

    Praise be to Jesus for this new day.  It is going to be glorious and brilliant.  He blessed us with a sweet Wednesday evening gathering.  As we wake up to a brand new day the fear about the ebola virus is spreading like a wild fire around the corner and around the globe.  When we look at life deeply we recognize that all of us live just a breath away from eternity.  It is easy to be consumed by fear and panic.  Those who love Jesus, serve Him, and live in Him can not live on panic and fear but in faith in His deep abiding peace.       

    I am so blessed.  One if the big blessings is the gift of the Lord in my four daughters.  We cherish our times together.  We rejoice in the blessings and the gifts of the Lord.  Often when we share our time together the Lord does encourage me through their faith and faithfulness to the Lord.   

    Whenever I participate in the service death and resurrection I quote from the Letter of Paul to the Philippians.  This letter was written by Paul while he was held prisoner.  By the world's standards, he should have been miserable, but when you read this letter, from first to the last, it vibrates with joy.  As he came to the closing verses he saide, "Rejoice in the Lord always!  Again I say, Rejoice!"

    One of Paul's favorite words is the Greek word hilarotes, from which we get the word hilarity.  It literally means "laughter from the heart."  When Paul spoke of joy, he did not mean the trivial, shallow, obscene or mean-spirited stuff we call humor today.  He meant a bone-deep, blood-rich, exuberant laughter which comes up out of the depths of a person's soul, a joy which flows from the center of our being, a happiness coming from the depth of our hearts.  Holy hilarity is born out of deep, inner peace, a peace which passes all understanding.  It is a peace which comes from knowing that we are really loved and accepted by God.

    My experience tells me that uptight people can never really experience joy. People who have everything screwed down real tight can never learn to dance. People who are not at peace with themselves, people who carry around the baggage of past hurts and failures, people who look at the world through the narrow lens of their own self-interest, people who just plain don't like themselves or others, can never really discover the hilarity the Gospel promises.  Only those who let go and discover the deep peace which comes in knowing we are loved simply because God chooses to accept and love us, can know the freedom of laughter.

    There's a line from G. K. Chesterton which I've claimed as part of the operating creed for  my life, "Angels can fly because they take themselves so lightly."  In stark contrast to this, I have known a lot of Christians who take themselves entirely too seriously.  We need to take the love of God and the good news of the Gospel seriously, but we don't have to take ourselves seriously at all.  There is great joy that comes in knowing that we can trust the goodness and love of God.

    "Finally, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things."  Real joy -- holy hilarity -- is shaped by a disciplined focus of our hearts and minds and souls on things that are good, things that are beautiful, things that are filled with the joy of the Spirit of Christ.

    Paul came to a grand conclusion in Philippians 4:11 when he said, "I have learned to be content with whatever I have.  I know what it is to have little, and I know what it is to have plenty.  In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being well-fed and of going hungry, of having plenty and of being in need.  I can do all things through him who strengthens me."

    The J. B. Phillips translation has great feeling for the emotion of Paul's letters, "I have learned to be content, whatever the circumstances may be.  I know now how to live when things are difficult and I know how to live when things are prosperous... I have learned the secret of facing plenty or poverty.  I am ready for anything through the strength of the one who lives within me."  Paul said he had already learned all of that.   Jesus, the Lord of Joy, grants us the hilarity of the soul which thrives within us in any circumstances.

In Christ,

 Brown

http://youtu.be/qQ71RWJhS_M

No comments: