WELCOME TO MY BLOG, MY FRIEND!

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Brown's Daily Word and Birthday!!

    Praise the Lord  for this glorious and brilliant day.  We will meet for our Wednesday Gathering for fellowship and study at 6 PM.  Today is my birthday.  Thank you all for your birthday wishes and love.  I have heard from all over the world... I am so blessed and so loved.  It was on this day I was born in a small village in Orissa India surrounded by majestic mountains, scenic beauty, and, best of all, surrounded by a very loving affectionate family.  I was the oldest of 7 children.  All of us were born at home... we were all home grown.  My mother is for the first time is not on earth on my birthday.  She is in heaven with Jesus preparing celebrate her First Christmas in heaven.  My mother had told me that my grandma and my aunt served as the mid-wives during my birth.  My mother never once saw a doctor during her pregnancy.   I had a long conversation with Bishop Mohanty of Cuttack, India, my mentor and a very dear friend of 50 years.  We ere sharing our lives in Jesus and because of Jesus.  We both were blessed to have committed Christian moms.  I praise the Lord for all His blessings through these years.  You are part of that blessing.  Blessed be His Name.  We know that WE change as we get older.  I remember the days when it seemed that Christmas or a birthday would NEVER get here; and now I think, "Is it here again ALREADY?".  LOTS of things change with age.

    Not long ago, someone noted some of the more obvious adjustments.  It was entitled, "YOU'RE NOT A KID ANYMORE WHEN...:"

    * Your back goes out more than you do.

    * You quit trying to hold your stomach in, no matter who walks into the room.

    * Your arms are almost too short to read the newspaper.

    * You sing along with the elevator music.

    * You are proud of your lawn mower.

    * People call at 9 p.m. and ask "Did I wake you?"

    * You dream about prunes.

    * You enjoy hearing about other people's operations.

    * Your best friend is dating someone half his age and isn't breaking any laws.

    * You answer a question with, "Because I said so!"

    I am reading Psalm 90 , the only Psalm written by Moses that has been included in the Book of Psalms.  The Psalm is focused on the passing of the years, familiar to us because it is so often heard at funerals.  It talks about  "all generations... everlasting to everlasting... a thousand years in your sight are like yesterday when it is past, or like a watch in the night [three hours]."  There is the reminder of the transitory nature of human life: "[humanity is] like a dream, like grass that is renewed in the morning; in the morning it flourishes and is renewed; in the evening it fades and withers...our days pass away...our years come to an end like a sigh."  Then those famous words in the sweeping poetry of the King James Version in which so many of us were nurtured, "The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away."

    This is a hymn for grown-ups in  that it takes seriously the passing of the years as any mature person does.  It takes seriously the fleeting nature of human life.  The older we get, the more likely we are to read the obituaries every day.  We may not be able to add more years to our life, but we surely can add more life to our years...IF we go about the process with some intelligence and wisdom.  The Psalmist's prayer is, "So teach us to count our days that we may gain a wise heart."  Wisdom, Lord.  Give us wisdom, so that we might make the most of these fleeting years!

    Lord, "So teach us to count our days that we may gain a wise heart."

 In Jesus our Lord and our Life.

   Brown

http://youtu.be/mCueI9YLcG8

No comments: