WELCOME TO MY BLOG, MY FRIEND!

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Brown's Daily Word 1-23-13

     This is the day the Lord has made.  We will rejoice in Him.  Praise the Lord for Christian music.  Beautiful and powerful music comes from redeemed hearts.  Praise the Lord for glorious classical music that honors the Lord.  Praise the Lord for hymns and songs that honor Jesus and bring blessings and joy to the listeners.  Our daughters grew up surrounded by Christian music.  Their young lives were influenced and shaped by Christian music.  They have grown up loving Jesus and serving Him.
    One of the Christian worship songs I learned from one of our daughters is, "He is jealous for me".  The lyrics say, “He is jealous for me, Loves like a hurricane, I am a tree, bending beneath the weight of his wind and mercy.  When all of a sudden, I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory, and I realize just how beautiful You are, and how great Your affections are for me.” 

    This song  refers to a passage found in Exodus 20:4-6, “You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them.  For I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.”

    Exodus chapter twenty is, of course, Moses delivering the Ten Commandments. Verses four through six are the Second Commandment,  “Thou Shalt Make No Graven Images.”  Beyond the words of this commandment, Moses was telling us that we should not give our affection and worship to anyone or anything but God. 
The God of the Universe is jealous for me.  God, in His infinite power and glory, is concerned about me.  As a loving parent He cares what I do. A parent who does not care what his child does or what he becomes does not love that child.  God is jealous of my best interest!  How amazing is that?

    This concept encapsulates His Holy zeal for us.  He has created us.  When we fell and sinned He redeemed us through His own blood.  We are His.

    John Kenneth Galbraith, a  economist who taught at Harvard, served as US ambassador to India and was the commencement speaker at the University from which I graduated.  John Kenneth Galbraith, in his autobiography, “A Life In Our Times,” illustrates the devotion of Emily Gloria Wilson, his family’s housekeeper.  It had been a exhausting day, and he asked Emily to hold all telephone calls while he had a nap.  Shortly thereafter the phone rang.  President Lyndon Johnson was calling from the White House.  "Get me Ken Gailbraith.  This is Lyndon Johnson." She replied, "He’s sleeping, Mr. President.  He said not to disturb him."  "Well, wake him up.  I want to talk to him."  "No, Mr. President, I can’t do that.  I work for him, not you."  When Galbraith called the President later, he could scarcely believe what the President said: "Tell that woman I want her here in the White House!" 

    In the same way before we were ever born we belonged to God.  He gave us life, He shaped us in our mother’s womb.  We are His creation, and we belong to Him.

The jealousy of God is a good thing. For His jealousy—unlike ours—is not mixed up with weakness or sin. What we call ‘jealousy’ is mostly something else: insecurity, selfishness, and suspicion. The Lord’s jealousy, however, has none of these impurities. Yes, He’s possessive; yes He wants us for Himself; He wants us all and always., “I am my Beloved’s and my Beloved is mine.” 
(Song of Solomon 6:3) 
 In Christ ,

  Brown


No comments: