WELCOME TO MY BLOG, MY FRIEND!

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Brown's Daily Word 4-16-13

We are waking up after another terrorist attack on American soil, causing death and destruction. We are called to pray for our enemies, that the Lord of all nations, the King of kings, might change their hearts. Our daughter Janice and her family, who live in Boston, go every year to watch the Boston Marathon. They had just returned home when the terrorist struck, the second blast occurring just one block from where they had been standing. We will keep on praying for the victims particularly for the children and their families. May Jesus heal our land.
 
The opening verse of Psalm 91 has been quoted countless times and repeated in the hearts of God’s people even more frequently: “He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.” There are two striking imageries for God here. One is that of a large bird sheltering its young with his wings: “He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge.” A majestic eagle comes to mind as he protects his young high on a craggy mountain ledge. He is the “most high” of all living creatures. The person being protected by God is pictured as a small bird in the nest. No predator comes near the nest because the father eagle is standing in the nest next to his young so that his shadow falls over them. This is a picture of extreme tenderness on the part of God. The young are lovingly cared for and protected. The other image is that of a military fortress: “I will say of the Lord, ‘He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.’” Again, “His faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.” So we have here both the tenderness and strength of God. Tenderness without strength would fail to give the kind of protection needed, but strength without tenderness would fail to be the kind of protection you would want. God’s strength provides our protection, but its motive originates in the heart of God and reminds us that we are cared for deeply.

In this wonderful Psalm we are invited to dwell in the shelter of the Most High and rest in the shadow of the Almighty. If we walk with him and trust in him then he will cover us with his wings and protect us. We can count on that! At the same time it does not mean that nothing will ever happen to us. There may be other parts to the equation of God’s plan for our lives.

The Bible says, “This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us” (1 John 5:14). God may be doing something about which we do not yet know, and it may be something which we could not understand if we were told. All of life finds its meaning in a relationship with God. The psalmist wrote: “‘Because he loves me,’ says the Lord, ‘I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him.’”

If we have a love relationship with God then even the greatest disappointments in life have meaning and purpose — because all of life finds its meaning and purpose in him. Our relationship with the Risen Lord, is the filter through which we look at all of life. That relationship helps us to interpret all the things which happen to us. We see him standing there in the midst of the situation we face holding out his arms to us.

I love the story of Jesus’ disciples when they left Jesus on the shore and headed out into the Sea of Galilee. A terrible storm arose and they were straining at the oars just trying to survive. The wind was against them and it looked as though the sea was going to swallow them, but suddenly something worse than the storm frightened them. Their worst fears were realized as they saw what they thought was a ghost floating across the waves. They did not realize it was Jesus walking on the water toward them. Screams of terror arose from the boat, but just as they thought they were going to perish, they heard a familiar voice say, “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid’” (Mark 6:50).

I believe this has been the experience of Christians throughout the ages. Just as their worst fears are realized; just as they think the storms of life are going to overcome them and the waves swallow them; just as they think they are going to perish, they hear a familiar voice call out to them saying, “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid. It is not disaster, it is me!” See him coming to you now. Hear him speak through the storm: “It is I. Don’t be afraid.” Hear him say through the psalmist: “Because you love me I will rescue you. Because you have acknowledged my name I will protect you. I will be with you in trouble. I will deliver you.”

In Christ,

Brown


No comments: