WELCOME TO MY BLOG, MY FRIEND!

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Brown's Daily Word 11/22/16


It has already begun to look like Christmas everywhere around our region.  The National Weather Service forecast highlighted Binghamton, which (in some spots) had 22" of snow by last evening.  They broadcast that in one area of Upstate New York there was a 37" snowfall.  Last year the total snowfall for the entire winter (for Binghamton) was 32".  My wife put up her first Christmas tree yesterday and made her first batch of Christmas cookies.  We are blessed to have a ski resort just a town away from us - Greek Peak.  If you drive through that area you are transported to the Alpine areas of Switzerland (Austria, Germany).  Skiers from all around the region flock to the slopes.  Some of Alice's students work part time in various capacities at Greek Peak and, for the most part, they love it.  Fresh snow reminds us of the Word of God, how Christ our Savior makes our soiled and stained lives stainless and beautiful.  Isaiah 1:18  says, "Come now, let us reason together, says the Lord: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool."



    Today I am attaching one of my favorite songs, "Somewhere It's Snowing".  Please take time to listen to it.  I trust that it blesses you as much as it has blessed me.       



    During the Thanksgiving season I rivet my thoughts and focus on some of the paramount passages from the Book of Habbakkuk 3 Verses 17-18 show us what faith looks like when life tumbles in around us:

"Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls.  Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior."  The word “rejoice” literally means to jump for joy.  We might even say it means to dance for joy. 



    Habakkuk described a total economic meltdown.  Ancient Israel was an agricultural society where, if you ran out of figs, olives, grapes, grain, sheep, and cattle, you were in big trouble!  What would we do if we faced total economic ruin,

if our investments were to disappear?  Currently we see the stock market poised to hit an all-time high (1900), but what would we  do if tomorrow the stock market imploded?  What if it suddenly went from 19,000 all the way to zero?  What would  we do then?



    Kay Warren is the wife of Rick Warren, who is the pastor of Saddleback Church in Southern California and the author of the mega-bestseller LThe Purpose Driven Life.  Rick and Kay were put in the spotlight in a very sad way just few years ago when their 27-year-old son Matthew died unexpectedly.  Following her son's unexpected and tragic death, Kay Warren made some very personal reflections on what would have been Matthew’s 29th birthday.  Here is part of what she wrote:

    "On July 18, 1985, I gave birth to our beloved gift of God, Matthew David Warren. Holding him in my arms that morning, I had no idea how dark the journey would get for him - and for those who love him.  All I knew that bright morning was that I was madly in love with him, and could see nothing ahead but a mother's dreams of a good life for her son.  I remember Easter 1985 - I was sick in bed, unable to go to church.  Rick took the kids to church and I stayed by myself for a few hours - the TV remote by my side as my only companion.  Somehow I dropped the remote and couldn't retrieve it - so there I was, alone on one of the most joyous holidays, with not even a TV preacher to keep me company, full of anxiety and fear for myself and my unborn child.  I painfully reached for my Bible and it fell open to Habakkuk 3: 17-19 (NIV): 'Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails, and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior.  The Sovereign Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer; he enables me to go on the heights.'

    "This was a word from the Lord to me - and I determined that even IF my worst nightmares came true - if my baby died, or I never walked again - that I would trust in God my Savior; I would rejoice in the Sovereign Lord.  So today - his 29th birthday - through weeping - I shout it to the watching universe: I will rejoice in Lord; I will be joyful in God my Savior.  My heart remains wounded and battered, but my faith is steady.  There is, and will be, as Steven Curtis Chapman says, a "glorious unfolding" of all that God has in store for me and my family.  God is faithful to his promises of rebuilding and restoring the ruins - and I am confident that I will yet be a witness to many, many, many lives healed and hope restored - all because of my beloved gift of God, Matthew David Warren.  I miss you, darling boy.....but it will just be for a little while."



    Could we say, “Yes, Lord,” when the dearest thing in life is taken from us?  Often we serve God and love him and praise him when all is going well, but how do we respond when hard times come?  Sometimes the fig tree does not bud. Sometimes there are no grapes on the vine.  Sometimes the olive crop fails.  Sometimes the fields produce no food.  Sometimes there are no sheep in the pen.  Sometimes there are no cattle in the stalls.  When all in our lives comes to a screeching halt, we can get angry with God and give up on God altogether or we can turn to the Lord and, by His grace, stand on His promises and  hold onto Him, who is the Author and Finisher of our Faith.     

    

    The last verse of Habakkuk is often overlooked, though powerful and compelling:  “The Sovereign Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to tread on the heights” (v. 19).

    In Christ,

     Brown

No comments: