WELCOME TO MY BLOG, MY FRIEND!

Thursday, February 11, 2016

Brown's Daily Word 2/11/16


Praise the Lord for this new day.  One of my granddaughters reminds me, "It is brand new day".  Alice and I traveled back to New York yesterday.  The Lord blessed us with a safe and sweet journey, traveling(with stops) over 6 hours. Yesterday was Ash Wednesday.  We have entered the Lenten season of reflection, renewal, and rejoicing.  I have been listening to  pieces from Handel's Messiah this morning: "He Shall Feed His Flock", "I Know that My Redeemer Liveth".  The music and message of Handel's Messiah fill my soul, inspire my heart, and cleanse my mind.  Thank you all for your fervent prayers on our behalf, standing with us as we sojourn as pilgrims on the road to the Eternal City.  The road that we travel was traveled by our Lord Jesus, the pioneer and the finisher of our faith.  Alice is going back to Schooll to teach today.Our  church Family  in Marathon,   has been gracious to us in every way.  They have cared for the preaching and teaching  and missional matters.  Praise the Lord for the way He provides His boundless grace. 



       During the season of Lent we all think about Spiritual discipline and self denial.  Most of us  think of  giving up something when it comes to Lent.  For example, we often hear, "I'm giving up coffee," or, "I'm giving up chocolate," or, "That's nothing, I'm giving up Facebook."

    We understand about these habits.  Jesus said to his followers: "When you give to people in need … when you pray … when you fast."  He assumes that you will do these things.  As a follower of Christ it will be a part of your life to choose spiritual disciplines like this.  He made this one central point: When you do them, don't ever do them to try to prove to yourself or someone else how spiritual you are.

    The only reason to engage in the spiritual disciplines that we choose is because  we have a Heavenly Father who sees us, who longs to draw us close, and who wants to reward us with the intimacy of his presence, with the tenderness of his compassionate word to us, who wants to give us the grace that we need for this moment.  That reward should be so compelling that we would even do these disciplines as difficult as they are.  It is not easy to give money when we know we might need it.  In fact, we do need it.  It's not easy to pray, to set aside time and to stop our motion and the self-management of our life and cry out in need.  It is not easy to fast and go without food and feel the pains of hunger.  

    In Matthew 5:11 Jesus said, "God blesses you when people mock you and persecute you and lie about you and say all sorts of evil things against you because you are my followers."  I don't know one person who said to themselves this year, "You know what I'm going to do for Lent this year, I'm going to be mocked, lied about, and slandered; that's my discipline for this season of my life."  Yet a sovereign God allows this type of discipline into our lives.  Why would he do that?  How do we make sense of that?  How would we even begin to respond to that?

    First of all, the spiritual disciplines we  don't choose, that are thrust upon us, are described by James as trials of many kinds.  Our trials will be different from the trials faced by others.  In other words, they can come in all shapes and sizes, but they have this in common: they test our faith.  They knock us off balance, they make us wobble in our faith, and suddenly we ask questions like, "God, where are you?  What possible sense could this situation have for me?"  The many of kinds of trials that James talks about are the trials that come to test our faith.

    Last year a woman named Margaret Geary made the news. She was an 85 year old nun who lives in a convent near Baltimore.  All of the other sisters in her convent were going to a three day conference and she had to stay behind, so for three days she was left alone in her convent.  Shortly after they left, she came down from her room to the kitchen to get a snack.  She went to the refrigerator, pulled out a jar of water that had celery sticks in it, and walked back to elevator, got on and pressed the up button.  The elevator went up about two feet and then it stopped.  She thought, "Uh oh," and she tried to pry open the doors  Right then the electricity went out.  Then she realized, "Oh, don't worry about it, I have my purse with me and it's got a cell phone."  So she rummaged in her purse, pulled out the cell phone, and realized, "I can't get a signal inside this elevator shaft."  At that point she started to panic.  Then she realized, "You know what, I can either panic or I can pray.  It looks like I'm going to be taking a three day prayer retreat and I didn't have to reserve the space."  So she sat on the floor of the elevator and ate some of the celery sticks and prayed, and then she drank some of the water and prayed.  Then she rummaged in her purse and pulled out some of the cough drops down in the bottom and sucked on those, and prayed.  When she got tired she curled up and used her sweater as her pillow and put her purse in her back to keep that from hurting as much, and she prayed.  When the other sisters finally got back three days later and got her out of the elevator, they said, "What were you thinking?  What was it like for you?"  She said, "Well, I finally realized God had provided for me an opportunity to draw closer to him." 

    Please join us praying for Thomas B, the son of very dear friends, who is battling some very precarious health concerns.  He is one of very dear friends and fellow sojourners in Jesus.

In Jesus our Lord.

    Brown

No comments: