WELCOME TO MY BLOG, MY FRIEND!

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Brown's Daily Word 11/18/15

It is Wednesday.  We will meet for our Midweek gathering this evening with a special meal at 6:00 PM followed by Bible study at 6:30 PM.  The Lord blessed with a beautiful day yesterday.  I met some beautiful people on my wandering and walking.  I had a lunch with a dear friend the other day .  We shared some wild salmon prepared in an authentic curry.  He is  an avid hunter.  He had been to  Newfoundland on a Moose hunting expedition where he got a big bull.  He brought me some moose meat along withe pictures of the moose, the rack etc.  It was impressive.  I drove by the back hills and dales yesterday to see some people.  I saw flocks of wild turkeys and thousands of Canadian geese which had taken over the small lakes nearby, swimming unhurried and mirthful.  The entire surroundings were flooded with sweet songs, sounds, and sights.  Our hunting friends are gearing up for deer season with their heat seeking hunting machines.  We are just a week away from celebrating Thanksgiving.  Another season.  Another blessing.  Another reminder.  Another song of salvation.  Thanks be Jesus, who lavishes on us abundant blessings in season and out of season in Jesus.  What a wonderful Savior we serve.
 

    One of my  favorite preachers, Philip Ryken, says, “The history of salvation, is sometimes described as a drama - the drama of redemption.  However, this drama is actually a musical.  It is impossible,” . . .  “It is impossible even to conceive of Biblical Christianity without songs of praise.”  Christianity is a singing faith.  A Christian who doesn’t sing is a contradiction in terms.  If salvation were merely a reward for services rendered on our part to God, if He were simply giving us our due, quid pro quo - we’re earned it so salvation is ours by right; - if that were true, well then we might strut and preen in self-congratulatory pride but we would never sing praises.  Salvation would be ours by right; we’ve earned it.  We’ve no one to thank but ourselves for it.  God’s salvation demands our song. 

 

    “Be filled with the spirit,” Ephesians 5:18-20, “addressing one another in psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart.”   We are  saved by grace through the Lord Jesus Christ; we  are  recipients of God’s great redemption.  We  Sing!  

 

    In Exodus 15 Moses praised God as a personal God.  Verse 2 - “The LORD is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation.  He is my God and I will praise him; my father’s God, and I will exalt him.”  My God, my strength, my song, my salvation, my father’s God. . .  I am His, He is mine; I know Him and He knows me. There is intimacy and fellowship here.  Because of Christ we can can say in ways Moses could not, “You are my strength, my song, my salvation, my God, mine; I am yours.  You are mine.”  In verse verse 3, God is praised as a warrior God.  This is a difficult concept for us.  Verse 3, “The LORD is a man of war; the Lord is his name.”  Moses had told Israel in verses 13 and 14 of chapter 14, that God would fight for them, that they had only to be silent and see the salvation of the Lord.  In this passage, as they looked back over the surging waters of the sea beneath which the Egyptian army had been drowned and destroyed, they saw that God keeps His Word.  He fought for them and triumphed.  The Bible describes God as One Who fights for us.  He fights for us and He has done so supremely and climactically, Colossians 2:15 - at the cross of Jesus Christ.  There the greatest contest of all was entered into by the Lord our God and there He won the victory, having triumphed over the principalities and powers, having disarmed them, triumphing over them at the cross.  

 

    Our  whole salvation rests on the truth that  our God is a warrior God who fights for us, to make us His, and to deliver us from all His enemies and our enemies by the cross of Jesus Christ.  Praise God that He is a warrior God, and praise Him, verse 6, for His mighty power.  “Your right hand, O Lord, glorious in power, your right hand, O Lord, shatters the enemy.” Down in verse 9 we  see the boats of Pharaoh, verse 9, “I will pursue, I will overtake, I will divide the spoil, my desire shall have its fill of them. I will draw my sword; my hand shall destroy them.”

 

    Pharaoh was confident, but for all his boastful confidence and self-reliance, we  see the sheer effortlessness of God’s response.  Verse 10, “You blew with your wind and the sea covered them; they sank like lead in the mighty waters.”  A puff of God’s breath and the enemy were overthrown.  He blew on them and the mighty power of Egypt was destroyed.  Praise God for His mighty power. The apostle Paul prayed that we would know what is the immeasurable greatness of His power toward us who believe, according to the working of His great might, which is most fully and clearly and climactically displayed “that we might know the greatness of His power toward us who believe according to the working of His great might that He worked in Christ when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in heavenly places.”  Immeasurably great power and great might, seen even more clearly than at the parting of the Red Sea, were seen when the stone was rolled away and the tomb found empty, and the crucified, dead, and buried Jesus Christ stood forth risen in glory forever.  Praise God for His power, never more clearly seen than at the empty tomb. 

 

     Moses also praised God for His uniqueness.  Verse 11, “Who is like you, O Lord, among the gods?  Who is like you, majestic in holiness, awesome in glorious deeds, doing wonders?”.  There is no one like Him.  We praise God because only He is God, the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.  There is no other.

 

    God is also praised, verse 13, for His love.  “You have led in your steadfast love the people whom you have redeemed.”  “It is the steadfast love of the Lord that never ceases; His mercies never come to an end.  They are new every morning. Great is Thy faithfulness!”  It is that same love, that love that redeems a people that reaches its zenith when the Son of God “loved me and gave Himself for m.,”when God demonstrated His love for us in this, “that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”  Again and again we see Moses trace the attributes of God and the character of God behind the mighty works of God, the more he sees of God and the more he sings and praises.  Prose will not do when the beauty of our God is clearly seen.  Only poetry will work.  Only song can give voice to the heart responding to the glory and greatness and grace of a God who saves by Jesus Christ.  Now He reigns and ever lives.

  In Christ,

 Brown

No comments: