WELCOME TO MY BLOG, MY FRIEND!

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Brown's Daily Word 10/14/15

    Praise the Lord for this Wednesday.  We will gather for our Mid-week study and fellowship at 6:00 PM.  We will have a special meal.  Best of all there will be a great fellowship.  We are excited.  Praise the Lord, for the He lavishes us with stainless and sweet seasons.  We are the objects of His matchless love and unreachable riches.  The sweet summer days are gently making room for some cooler days.  It is all refreshing and reinvigorating. 

 

    I drove to one of the largest farm stands that is in one of our neighboring counties.  It was a very pleasant drive in the countryside.  The autumn  colors are still holding on to the trees and bushes .  "A thing of beauty is a joy forever".  The farm stand is always full of local produce including potatoes, New York Apples, pumpkins, and winter squash.  There is an overwhelming supply of all kinds of produce.  Praise the Lord for His abundance from the earth.  While I was one of young woman working said, "I know you.  You are Laureen's dad".  She shared with me that she is part of the same prayer and praise group that Laureen attended, which met in Binghamton.  In few moments a couple drive to the stand, dear friends of ours going home after closing their summer cottage for the off-season.  We shared about the Lords faithfulness and His grace in our lives over these many years. 

 

    Praise the Lord for the amazing harvest season.  Our children Janice and Jeremy, living in the city of Boston, buy much of their food  directly from the farmers in Vermont and Massachusetts, along with many of their friends who are  city dwellers.  

 

    In the evening I called a friend of our ours.  He had gone big game hunting to Canada along with nine others.  Each one got a moose.  Our friend got a big bull moose.  He was excited and feeling like a young boy.  I was reminded  of my dad, who was a brave and smart hunter back in the village where I was born and raised.  He hunted both small and big games.

 

    While in Boston this past weekend I spent some time reading from Psalm 119 with my grand daughter Micah.  “Let my cry come before you, O LORD; give me understanding according to your word.  Let my plea come before you; deliver me according to your word.  My lips will pour forth praise, for you teach me your statutes.  My tongue will sing of your word, for all your commandments are right.  Let your hand be ready to help me, for I have chosen your precepts.  I long for your salvation, O LORD, and your law is my delight.  Let my soul live and praise you, and let your rules help me.  I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek your servant, for I do not forget your commandments.” 

 

    Don Carson and company in the New Bible Dictionary say that you could really divide this section of the psalm into two parts.  They say you could say verses 169 to 172 are saying, “Lord, hear me,” and then verses 173 to 176 say, “Lord, act for me.”  One of the things that the Word teaches us is about prayer. 

 

    William Plumber says, “good men are often so situated that the only resource left to them is prayer.”   We all have been  put into situations like that repeatedly in our lives  where the only thing we  could do about our circumstance was pray.  There was literally nothing left that we could do so we  had to completely leave our situation in the Lord’s hand.  God often designs for us to be precisely in that circumstance so that we will lean on Him and the resource of prayer.  Plumber goes on to say that prayer is never produced in our hearts because of the difficulty of our circumstances, but the Holy Spirit working in the difficulty of our circumstances sanctifies those circumstances to our spiritual resort to prayer.   Plumber says, “Prayer is never performed aright as to be answered until we are taught by the Holy Spirit” and he points us to Romans 8:26.  Then he continued, “Distress is a natural means of stirring us up to prayer only when sanctified to us by the Holy Spirit.”    

 

    One of the great hymns of the church we sing is “How Firm A Foundation.”   There is one stanza that intrigues me, as it says, “Sanctify to us our deepest distress”.  Distress, in and of itself, does not create in us a spirit of prayer, but the Holy Spirit will sanctify our distress to us so that we resort to dependence upon God in prayer.  When we sing, “Sanctify to us our deepest distress,” we are  saying, “Lord, by Your Spirit, make even our deepest distress and our darkest dangers, by the work of the Holy Spirit, grow us in grace and prayer.”  Even so the psalmist is once again reminding us that living by faith is living by prayer.  “Let my cry come before you, O LORD; let my plea come before you.”

In Christ,

Brown

No comments: