WELCOME TO MY BLOG, MY FRIEND!

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Brown's Daily Word 3/26/15

Praise the Lord for this new day.   It is going to be mild here in Southern Tier of New York, to make it possible for the flowers to bloom luxuriantly.  Some of my friends make maple syrup.  The Lord is ushering in some beautiful weather that the maple syrup growers love... warm in the day time and cold in the night. The Lord blessed us with an awesome Wednesday gathering.  The fellowship was sweet . The study and sharing are always thought provoking and uplifting.
    Our grandchildren who live in Boston get to go to the museums regularly.  Ada, the youngest, visits the Musuem of Fine Arts up to 3 times  a week.  As I have shared, to me the best art, the best music, and the best literature in the world is that which honors Christ.  Some of the best architecture is that which reflects the Glory of the Lord.   

    During this Lenten season, as we get closer to Passion week I would like to invite you to join me to gaze at one of the most famous paintings in the world, The Last Supper, by Leonardo da Vinci.  Frozen in time before us is the precise moment when Jesus said, "One of you will betray Me."  The expressions and gestures of the disciples clearly show their shock, fear, disbelief, anger, sadness.
Our eyes are drawn to Judas, the second person on Jesus' right, sitting next to young beardless John, who by the way is not Mary Magdalene. (That silliness from DaVinci Code been debunked by all serious art critics. As one of them asked, "If that's not John up there, who can explain why Leonardo left out one of the 12 disciples?")  Next to John, there is Judas, as Jesus is about to say, "The one who has dipped his hand into the bowl with Me will betray Me."

    So here is Judas reaching.  Notice he is using his left hand.  Leonardo was aware of prejudice against left-handed people.  In fact, in Latin, the word for left is sinistra or sinister.  So simply by using his left hand, Judas is now the suspect.  Meanwhile, what is Judas clutching with his right hand? It is a money bag, a purse, a reference to the 30 pieces of silver he would earn for betraying Jesus.  Then there is one more tiny detail: In all the commotion with the use of his hand,  let us notice Judas has knocked over the salt on the table.  Still today there's this superstition that spilling salt leads to bad outcomes.  Also, notice Judas' face is shadowed and darker than the faces of other disciples.  It is written for us in 
Matthew 26:20-25:

    "When evening came, Jesus was reclining at the table with the Twelve.  And while they were eating, He said, 'Truly I tell you, one of you will betray Me.'  They were very sad and began to say to Him one after the other, 'Surely you don't mean me, Lord?'  Jesus replied, 'The one who has dipped his hand into the bowl with Me will betray Me.  The Son of Man will go just as it is written about Him.  But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man!  It would be better for him if he had not been born.'  Then Judas, the one who would betray Him, said, 'Surely you don't mean me, Rabbi?'  Jesus answered, 'You have said so.'"

    On that night of the Passover, Judas betrayed a Friend.  He loved Jesus.  All the gospel writers preserve the fact that Judas did not want Jesus crucified.  All say he repented.  All say he tried to give back the money and undo what he had done. Why did Judas not appear at the trial?  He would have been the star witness for the prosecution!  Judas was crushed when his arrogant plan went awry, then he took his own life.  Judas had betrayed a Friend.

    Judas used Jesus as a means to an end, a way to achieve a desired goal. At first, all the disciples saw the prospect of Jesus becoming an earthly king.  All were looking forward to government jobs.  John and James jockeyed to be the ones sitting on Jesus' right and left when He became king.  These two, along with the other disciples, though, eventually surrendered to Jesus' own vision of His kingdom, but it was not so with Judas.

    I believe that,  like all of us, at the heart of it all Judas would not let Jesus be Lord over his life.  He really thought he was smarter, more world-wise, than Jesus.  A.W. Tozer once said, "Inside every human heart are a cross and a throne.  Whenever I put myself on the throne, I put Jesus on the cross."  That is the Judas whom I too often see in my mirror.  I enthrone myself, lord of my own private kingdom.  With me on the throne, there is no other place for Christ in my life except that I put Him on that cross.

     The apostle Paul said in Galatians, "I have been crucified with Christ.  The life I now live is no longer my life, but the life Christ lives within me."  A.W. Tozer has said to be crucified with Christ means three things: "The person on the cross is facing in only one direction.  Second, he's not going back; and third, he has no further plans of his own."

    Judas had many plans of his own, and so do we, but when we go to the cross, we die to our plans.  We surrender the managerial control of our own lives and relinquish all outcomes to Christ alone.
  As I transition to a different phase of my life I am praying that the Lord would grant me His grace to take over my plans .

    Catholic Cardinal John Henry Newman described what it's like to let God be in control:

    "Whatever, wherever I am, I can never be thrown away.  If I am in sickness, my sickness may serve Him; in perplexity, my perplexity may serve Him; if I am in sorrow, my sorrow may serve Him.  My sickness, my perplexity or sorrow may be necessary causes of some greater end, which is beyond me.  He does nothing in vain; He may prolong my life.  He may shorten it; He knows what he is about.  He may take away my friends.  He may throw me among strangers.  He may make me feel desolate, make my spirits sick, hide my future from me—still He knows what He is about.  I ask not to see—I ask not to know—I ask simply to be used."

    As someone has wisely said, "God is management".  We are in sales.  He's doing His job.  Lord, in these moments, we vacate our thrones and invite You into Your rightful place.  Be with us as we go to the cross in love, service and surrender to You. 


In Christ,

Brown

https://youtu.be/sQeIGbKqiw8

No comments: