WELCOME TO MY BLOG, MY FRIEND!

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Brown's Daily Word 11/4/14

Thanks be to Jesus for this day.  Today America goes to the polls for the midterm elections.  Those of us who live in this great blessed land, let us plan to cast out our ballots for Life and Liberty.  I spoke to Sunita, who is in Cypress with her family.  She shared with me that she spent most of a week in Lebanon with her work. She shared that Lebanon is beautiful country.  The total population of Lebanon is over 4 million.  Refugees from Syria totaling over 2 million have fled to Lebanon.  The Church is ministering to those people.  Many Christians around the globe live under tremendous political pressure and religions persecution.  Praise the Lord for all Christians around the corner and around the globe who live with great devotion to the Lord.  They live with great fervor and deep faith. 
    One of the worship songs we sing goes: “You are Lord of creation and Lord of my life,  Lord of the land and the sea; You were Lord of the heavens before there was time, and Lord of all Lords you will be.  We bow down ...”

    Some time ago I read the story of Dietrich Offeldt, who was born in the land of Martin Luther and Deitrich Bonhhoffer which occurred right after World War II and the separation of East and West Berlin.  It was that moment in history when the division of East and West was becoming painfully apparent.  All his friends counseled him:  “Dietrich, flee to West Berlin.  It will be better for you, better for your family, better for your freedom, a better place to be a Christian.  Don’t remain in East Berlin.  It is family suicide, spiritual suicide.”  But Dietrich was one of the many thousands who chose to remain and live as a Christian under communism.  In  essence he said in one of his letters: “Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior.  He is the ruler of my life, and he can dispose of my life in any way he chooses.  I have found that every Christian finds himself or herself in a particular circumstance, a particular time, a particular place in which they live out their discipleship.  My circumstance is communism;  my time is the Cold War; and my place is East Berlin.  I chose to be a disciple here.  To survive, I found that I needed to make two decisions:  first, to accept the task that God had placed before me; that is, to live as a Christian in a communist state.  The easy thing would have been to run away, to run someplace that was less difficult.  But an essential key to life is to accept the God-given task that God has placed right in front of you and not run away from it”.  ...  How about us? 

    Dietrich’s letter continued: “The second choice is to raise my flag and show my colors, to let those around me know for sure that I am a Christian, that Christ rules my life.”  Dietrich went on to tell about how some Christian parents in East Germany advised their children to be cautious in revealing that they were Christians and that such children became tense and not free but slaves to the fear of being found out.  Dietrich found it much easier to be up front, to show his colors, to let people know he was a Christian.  For example, one day his school principal confronted him, “Mr. Offeldt, communism teaches that there is no God, that God is a figment of our imagination.”  To which Dietrich replied,  “God is not the figment of my imagination.  God created my imagination and yours.”  His response was up front, colors flying high.  Dietrich knew that he couldn’t teach his beliefs in God at school, but he wanted his principal to know where he stood.  ... How about us? 

    “You are Lord of creation and Lord of my life; Lord of the land and the sea;
You were Lord of the heavens before there was time and Lord of all lords you will be.  We bow down...”

    This past Sunday was Christ the King Sunday.  On this special Sunday Church  remember that Christ is Lord over the whole creation, the entire universe and all the galaxies.  Christ is Lord over this little earth, this lovely planet on which there is life.  We remember that Christ rules over our lives ... during triumphs and tragedies, in all circumstances, all times, all places, and during the complex moral decisions that we face day by day.  Yes, Christ is... LORD!

 In Him,

  Brown

No comments: