WELCOME TO MY BLOG, MY FRIEND!

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Brown's Daily Word 4-25-13

Praise the Lord for the way He has redeemed, rescued, and restored us. We are part of His family. It is a great blessing to believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and to belong to His body, the church. I have believed in the Lord Jesus from the early years of my life. I have belonged to His body, the church, all these years. I have been blessed beyond belief.

I read about a Vietnamese man who set sail for Catalina. His mainsail broke, and he was adrift at sea for many weeks. He couldn't save himself. No matter how good a sailor he was, he was lost at sea until, ultimately, he was spotted and rescued by sailors of an U.S. Navy vessel. He didn't earn his salvation. It was freely given. He, in fact, didn't have enough money to buy an air ticket home. The sailors took up an offering on his behalf. This is a small picture of what it is to be rescued by God's grace.

I have known several young families who have adopted children. One couple, whom I married 17 years ago and now live in North Carolina, love Jesus and serve Him joyfully. They have adopted a beautiful girl from abroad. This beautiful child was adopted from abroad by these two parents, not blood related, who welcome that child into their home, raising her as their own daughter. That's the New Testament analogy for what it is to be rescued by Jesus, to be adopted into the family of God, not based on our works or our own merit, or even our own blood ties, but God's initiative.

A man was visiting some of the beautiful old churches in Germany when, at one church, he was intrigued by the carved figure of a lamb at a point near the top of the steeple. He learned that when the church was being built, one of the craftsmen fell from the scaffolding. As the other workers rushed to find him, fully expecting he had died from the terrible fall, they were shocked to find him shaken up, but alive! As he was falling, a flock of sheep was passing by and he landed on top of a lamb. Though the lamb was killed, it also broke the man's fall, and he was saved. In recognition of that amazing event, the other craftsmen carved the lamb and placed it on the tower at the exact spot from which the man had fallen. It was a reminder of the time a man was saved by a lamb.

If we are in Christ, then we too have been saved by the Lamb. God sent His only Son to break our fall, to absorb the punishment for sin that was rightly ours, and to give us new life. That's grace. That's God's unmerited favor.

Paul declared, "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me". (Galatians 2:20)

In Christ,

Brown

No comments: