WELCOME TO MY BLOG, MY FRIEND!

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Brown's Daily Word 5-3-12

Praise the Lord for this good day. Praise the Lord for His mighty power at work around the corner and around the globe. Today is the first day of the three day camp meeting that takes place every year in G Udayagiri, Phulbani, Orissa. Over 7000 people are expected to come and camp out for three day event of outdoor worship, praise and prayer. This was the epicenter where the persecution against Christians broke out in August, 2008 when over 100 Christians were killed by Hindu Extremists. The Church of Jesus Christ alive and well. Leann Williamson and her team from Mississippi are currently conducting a week of VBS in South India. Leen Ann posted in her Facebook that over 4000 children are attending this VBS event. Praise the Lord for the way people in every land in every people group are worshipping the Risen Lord, telling the Old Story of His love and grace.
The Lord blessed us with a wonderful Wednesday Evening of fellowship and Bible Study. We looked at John 21, at one of the post-resurrections appearances of the Risen Lord by the Sea of Galilee. In John 21, we read that seven of the disciples had gathered at Peter’s home in Capernaum waiting for Jesus when Peter, impatient as always, declared in verse three, “I go a fishing. They say unto him, We also go with thee.” Peter was having "one of those days". The Greek word used to convey what Peter said was hupago , this is an interesting word that literally means “I retire.” Peter was ready to quit preaching and go back to what he knew best, fishing. Either Peter was very persuasive or the other disciples were as disgusted as he was, for seven of the eleven went with him, three of whom were not even fisherman. Peter was looking back, trying to return to his comfort zone.
The text says in verse three, “They went forth, and entered into a ship immediately; and that night they caught nothing.” What Peter discovered is very important: he discovered that you can’t go back. Somebody once said, “There ain’t nothing more depressing than catching nothing.” In fact Jesus showed Peter that without Him he could not even fish anymore. It wasn’t until the Lord showed up to give them specific instructions on fishing that these former “professional” fishermen got so much as a bite.
The lesson for us is that we cannot go back. We belong to Jesus now and things will never be the same. Our future with the Lord is full of exciting significance only if we follow him. According to verse three Jesus appeared on the beach early the next morning. There the disciples spotted Him and John identifies him as Jesus. Peter, always the man of action, jumped into the water and swam to shore. When all had gathered together, Jesus prepared breakfast for them. After breakfast Jesus took Peter aside to speak to him privately. “So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs. He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep. He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.”
Three times Jesus asked Peter a question. The Greek language in which the New Testament was written, unlike English, has multiple words for the expression of love. When Jesus says to Simon do you love me He said literally, “Simon Peter do agape me?” Agape is the God kind of Love. It is the word used to translate John 3:16 which says “for God so loved the world he gave his only begotten Son.”
Jesus asked, “Simon Peter do you love me more than these?” More than what? There are several possibilities; Peter do loved me more than you do fishing? Simon Peter do you love me more than these other disciples do? Fresh in Peter’s memory was his denial of the Lord after having previously boasting that even if all the other disciples abandoned Jesus he would not (Matt 26:33). Peter replied, “Yes Lord you know I phileo you? I have a deep abiding affection for you. “ Then feed my sheep.”
The second time Jesus asked Peter, “Simon do you agape me?" “Do you love me with God kind of love?” Simon Peter again replied, “Yes Lord you know I phileo you.” Jesus said then “Feed my sheep.”
A third time Jesus asked him the question, this time he used the name he had given him, Peter. Since Peter could not come up to His level Jesus came down to Peter’s. This time he said, “Peter do you phileo me?” “Peter do you have a deep abiding affection for me.” Peter replied, “Lord you know everything you know I have a deep and abiding love for you.” Peter in effect says, “Lord I realize that nothing I could ever do would measure up to the way you love me, but I am not going to quit.” Peter came out of retirement at that moment and Jesus declared him fit for the ministry because he did not quit. Now that he had learned that there is nothing he could do without Jesus, even fishing, he was ready to be used by the Lord. The Lord made it plain that even Peter could make the connection between his love for the Lord and his service to Him.
In Christ,
Brown
Friday April 27, 2012
Television Outreach
Time Warner Cable Channel 4
Time 7:00 PM
Saturday , May 5.2012
Noon
Women's Mother's Day Luncheon
Union Center UMC
128 Maple Drive
Speaker: Julia Kellaway from the Family Life Network
Saturday Evening Worship Service:
Location: First United Methodist Church
53 McKinley Avenue, Endicott, NY
Time: 6:00 PM gathering for Coffee Fellowship
6:30 PM Worship Service
Date: Saturday, April 28, 2012
Speaker: Rev Brown Naik
Special Music: Laureen Naik

No comments: