WELCOME TO MY BLOG, MY FRIEND!

Monday, September 24, 2007

Brown's Daily Word 9-21-07

Good Morning,
Praise the Lord, for it is Friday. In the words Dr Tony Campolo, "And Sunday's coming". One of the most audacious claims we have in the Bible is found in II Corinthians 5:17 “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!” Jesus came to seek and save the lost. He came to bring about the total and extreme "makeover". He brings new birth, new life.
I spend one week almost every summer in Birmingham, Alabama attending the Pastor's conference there. One evening is set aside for some southern hospitality including some country and blue grass music festival. Some time ago I read about Kenny Chesney that he draws the largest crowds of any country singer there is right now, believe it or not. He keeps packing in the crowds and he’s on the road continually, but he slowed down long enough to get married.
Chesney met actress RenĂ©e Zellweger in January, 2005 and married her May 9, 2005, in Saint John, U.S. Virgin Islands. It was the first marriage for both. Chesney stated, “I remember coming back from the wedding and we landed in Little Rock, Arkansas. I had a show. We didn’t have a honeymoon, you know? Welcome to Little Rock, baby. Happy Honeymoon.”
From the beginning, their marriage looked like it was a fairy tale come true.
On September 15, after only four months of marriage, Zellweger filed for an annulment, citing "Fraud" as the reason. Sometime later Chesney said, “The only fraud that was committed was me thinking that I knew what it was like... that I really understood what it was like to be married, and I really didn’t.” I think we all would have to admit that marriage doesn’t always turn out to be what we thought it was going to be. Marriage does change a person, however, and sometimes for the better!
Of course, some women have married a bum thinking he would change. Jim Gibbore, who died on September 3, this year at the age of 57only, used to say, men will promise their women that they will change after marriage, and they will change . . . they will become worse.
There is only one place to find true and lasting change and that is in Christ. And that’s what Saul discovered. II Cor. 5:17 “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!” Paul declared" It is no longer that I live, but Christ Jesus liveth in me". "For me to live is Christ and to die is gain."
One Sunday afternoon in Chicago, a group of ballplayers entered a saloon. When they emerged, they saw a group of people playing instruments, singing gospel hymns, and testifying of Christ’s power to save from sin. Memories of a log cabin in Iowa, an old church, and a godly mother raced through the mind of one of the ballplayers. Tears came to his eyes. Presently he said, “Boys, I’m through! I’m going to turn to Jesus Christ. We’ve come to the parting of the ways.” Some of his companions mocked him, but others were silent. Only one encouraged him. He turned from the group and entered the Pacific Garden Mission.
Later that ballplayer told what occurred. “I called upon God’s mercy. I staggered out of my sins into the outstretched arms of the Savior.” That ballplayer was Billy Sunday, who became known as a world-renowned evangelist and probably preached Christ to more people at that time than any other preacher.
Billy Sunday had an unusual conversion experience. Perhaps it was not as extreme as Paul’s was, but it was unusual, different. No matter how a person comes to Christ, the important thing is that they come to Him in faith, surrender, and obedience.
In Christ,
Brown


Teach me. O God, to use all the circumstances of my life to-day that they may bring forth in me the fruits of holiness rather than the fruits of sin.
Let me use disappointment as material for patience:
Let me use success as material for thankfulness:
Let me use suspense as material for perseverance:
Let me use danger as material for courage:
Let me use reproach as material for longsuffering:
Let me use praise as material for humility:
Let me use pleasures as material for temperance:
Let me use pains as material for endurance.
... John Baillie, A Diary of Private Prayer

A newly discovered chapter in the Book of Genesis has provided the answer "Where do pets come from?"
Adam and Eve said, "Lord, when we were in the garden, you walked with us every day. Now, we do not see you anymore. We are lonesome and it is difficult for us to remember how much you love us."

And God said, "No problem! I will create a companion for you that will be with you forever and who will be a reflection of my love for you, so that you will love me even when you cannot see me. Regardless of how selfish or childish or unlovable you may be, this new companion will accept you as you are and will love you as I do, in spite of yourselves."

And God created a new animal to be companion for Adam and Eve. And it was a good animal. And God was pleased. And the new animal was pleased to be with Adam and Eve and he wagged his tail.

And Adam said, "Lord, I have already named all the animals in the Kingdom and I cannot think of a name for this new animal."

And God said, "Because I have created this new animal to be a reflection of my love for you, his name will be a reflection of my own name, and you will call him DOG."

And Dog lived with Adam and Eve and was a companion to them and loved them. And they were comforted. And God was pleased. And Dog was content and wagged his tail.

After a while, it came to pass that an angel came to the Lord and said, "They strut and preen like peacocks and they believe they are worthy of adoration. Dog has indeed taught them that they are loved...but perhaps too well."

And God said, "I will create for them a companion who will be with them forever and who will see them as they are. This companion will remind them of their limitations, so they will know that they are not always worthy of adoration."

And God created CAT to be a companion to Adam and Eve. And Cat would not obey them. And when Adam and Eve gazed into Cat's eyes, they were reminded that they were not the supreme beings. And Adam and Eve learned humility.

And they were greatly improved. And God was pleased.

And Dog was happy. And the cat did not care.

No comments: