WELCOME TO MY BLOG, MY FRIEND!

Friday, June 29, 2007

Brown's Daily Word 6-29-07

Here we are entering the last Friday of June and about to enter the Month of July. I had to go for an ambulatory surgical procedure today. The surgeon had to remove a couple spots on my ankle and one spot on my scalp. I am home now, resting and praying.
Many years ago I heard Josh McDonald share about the death of his mom and dad. While Josh McDowell was attending seminary in California, his father died. He knew his father was a Christian and went to heaven. But his mother had died years earlier when Josh wasn’t a believer and he wasnt’ sure whether or not she was a Christian. He became depressed thinking that perhaps his mother had died lost without Jesus. "Was she a Christian or not?" The thought obsessed him. "Lord", he prayed, "somehow give me the answer so I can get back to normal. I’ve just got to know." It seemed like an impossible request.
Two days later, Josh drove out to the ocean. He walked to the end of a pier seeking solitude. But when he got to the end of the pier there sat an old woman in a lawn chair, fishing. "Where’s your home originally?", she asked.
"Michigan - Union City," Josh replied. "Nobody’s heard of it. I tell people it’s a suburb of -"
"Battle Creek", interrupted the woman. "I had a cousin from there. Did you know the McDowell family?"
Stunned, Josh responded, "Yes, I’m Josh McDowell!"
"I can’t believe it!", said the woman. "I’m a cousin to your mother."
"Do you remember anything at all about my mother’s spiritual life?", asked Josh.
"Why sure - your mom and I were just girls - teenagers - when a tent revival came to town. It was the fourth night - we both went forward to accept Christ".
"Praise God!" Josh shouted, startling the surrounding fishermen.

No wonder the apostle James said, "The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and wonderful results." (James 5:16b) The Lord answers prayer. He listens to us when we call on Him. He knows our name. He meets us where we are. He leads beyond our selves to Himself.
In Him,
Brown

No comments: